Herons Creek Latest News

Willie Kennedy, Herons Creek Pioneer

Rate this item
(1 Vote)

In the course of research for the Heritage Trail, we have discoved this obituary which tells the story of one of the pioneers of Herons Creek. We believe it to be from late July 1964.

Late Willie Kennedy

The death of Mr. Willie Kennedy, aged 85 years, of Bob's Creek Road, Via Heron's Creek, on Saturday, 25th July, in Hastings District Hospital, Port Macquarie brought to a close a long and distinctive life associated with the district and timber industry. The late Mr. Kennedy was born at Forster in 1879 and his earliest recollection was being driven by coach to the original Coopernook Hotel, where the family stayed a short period, whilst his father engaged in his occupation of carpentry and wheelwright.

Later residing at Laurieton, Mr. Kennedy recalled, as a boy, his first employment, he delivered the mail from Laurieton to Kendall and back to Kew, on horseback. At the age of 12 years the family moved to Bob's Creek, where Mr. Kennedy lived for the past 73 years. When 18 years of age, he purchased his first bullock team from the late Mr. Bob Longworth, of Laurieton and for many years drew logs to the Laurieton Mills and the original Heron's Creek Mill.

On the 23rd December 1901, at Nabiac he married Ada Jane McKeough who predeceased him in 1937. There were six children of the marriage, namely, Sydney (deceased), Eileen (deceased), surviving are: John (Wauchope), Mina (Mrs. O. Evans, Eungai), Alec (Grafton), and Noel (Heron's Creek). Mrs. J. Bell (Hannah) of Wingham is a sister of the late Mr. Kennedy and is at present at South Port Queensland, recuperating from a recent illness.

Until three weeks before his death Mr. Kennedy took a keen interest in all current affairs. He was of a reserved nature but an enlightened conversationalist, and an ardent reader of good books.Before his declining years, he will be remembered and esteemed, as a hard worker and a man of great stamina, particularly as an axe-man and teamster. The Church of England at Kendall was built with the logs given by Mr. Kennedy and other teamsters of the Camden Haven district. On Monday, 27th July, a service was led by the Rev. Newell at the Heron's Creek Church of England, prior to the funeral in the Heron's Creek Cemetery.


Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

Recent News